Top Skills for a Successful Management Career
A career in management spans across a broad section of industries from finance, to the public sector, construction, education, and more. Every organisation needs a manager, however finding the right candidate can be tough. Management has now become a career in itself which comprises leaders who can work efficiently and drive a team or organisation to succeed.
Management roles have always been a top preference for aspirants. Many students perceive that attaining a management degree is enough to commence a career in the field. Though the management degree works as an added advantage for the candidates, what attracts employers are the skills and attributes they have. Possessing a set of key skills needed for the role increases the working efficiency and value of an aspirant. Below mentioned are a set of skills which can lead to a guaranteed successful career in management:
– Technical Skills: Over the past few years, technological developments are revolutionising the industry. The time is not far when 50% of the occupations or job profiles present right now, will not exist over the next decade. Technology has become an imperative aspect of the workplace. A manager is expected to possess an understanding of the key technological developments taking place and should stay up to date with the changing trends.
– Organisation and Delegation Skills: In order to succeed in a management career, a candidate must hold strong organisational skills. A management profile comes with tremendous responsibilities wherein, you have to supervise a team of employees working in diverse segments and ensure that they are being trained effectively. Also, delegation is another key skill that a manager must possess. A manager is responsible for delegating work to employees and ensures that the workforce remains motivated.
– Emotional Intelligence: One of the most fundamental skills that have become a mandate in an organisation is Emotional Intelligence. An understanding of emotions lets an individual achieve even the hardest goals within an organisation. It is also essential for a candidate to have the patience to listen to their employee’s concerns and that they must not overreact to situations. A calm and stable approach allows a candidate to enhance relationships in the workplace, and handle tough situations effectively.
– Transparency: When looking for the commencement of a career in a management profile, a candidate must be transparent. In management, there is no space for duplicity. A manager is responsible for leading a team wherein, employees expect their leader to be transparent with them, and on whom they can lay their trust. Being transparent in your dealings, will ensure the retention of hardworking team members, and reduce attrition in an organisation.
– Commercial Awareness: Businesses are actively seeking aspirants who possess strong commercial awareness. In terms of kick-starting the career in the management domain, an appropriate understanding of the marketplace and how the business operates is essential. Also, knowledge of the sector that the organisation belongs to also vital. In addition to the market understanding, a candidate must have adequate knowledge of social and economic issues that might affect the business.
– Rewards and celebrates employee’s successes: A manager should be a cheerleader for his team and should recognise and celebrate each success of his team. Nowadays, jobs are very stressful, and by celebrating each win, you can make your team feel good and show that you care about their achievements.
Management roles have always been coveted by students. Acquiring and following the above-mentioned skills and increasing your chance of getting a management role, as well as delivering excellent performance at the workplace. The skills could be attained through different activities like – Internships, volunteering, taking considerable professional courses, etc.
The management institutions across the country are focusing extensively on the development of essential management skills. Management roles have become one of the hottest career choices for aspirants. The students are actively seeking admission in the top 10 PGDM institutes in India to learn the requisite skills and training which can eventually lead to excellent placements in top companies.
Management skills have become important for a successful career. By doing a comprehensive course from a leading institute, students will be able to gain skills as well as practical knowledge to begin a rewarding career in their dream company!
About the Author
Dr. Kulneet Suri, Senior Director, Institute of Management Studies (IMS) Noida
Dr. Kulneet Suri is presently working as Senior Director at IMS Noida, IMS-DIA under UNISON EDUCATION Society which has 11 campuses spanning across Dehradun and Noida– A well -known global professional. Apart from being responsible for Operations of the campus, she is also involved in academics and the International linkage’s domain of work. Dr. Kulneet Suri has experience in higher education for over 22 years and has simultaneously worked for organized and unorganized sectors for women and girl child upliftment. In continuation of this, she is also the Senior Vice President of Delhi/NCR chapter for Girl Child and Women Upliftment. She began her career with AIRTEL and has thereon successfully risen by handling multidimensional assignments. She has worked as Head International Operations for the IEC Group of Institutions and IEC University. On joining the education sector, she has been heading all the major functions in the EDUCATION Sector at various points in time. Presently, she is responsible for the management and coordination of IMS Noida and IMS-DIA with its more than 65 worldwide partner institutions. She is also responsible for the development of new enterprise initiatives. She is also looking after academics of all flagship PG courses and is a member of the Academic Advisory Committee of the GREAT LAKES, Business School.