Usha Martin University
A 21st Century University Enhancing Higher Education Outcomes
Usha Martin University (UMU) was established vide Usha Martin University, Jharkhand Act 2012. It has been recognized by the University Grants Commission under the UGC Act 1956 as a self-financing State Private University empowered to award certificates, diplomas, and degrees. The University started offering academic programmes in July 2017 and has steadily been gaining a reputation as a provider of notes in eastern India.
The programmes offered by Usha Martin University (UMU) are recognized by national regulating bodies such as the Pharmacy Council of India and Bar Council of India. The UMU is also a member of the Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi. The University has a current enrolment of about 1200 students and enjoys a 30% YoY growth.
A Profound Leader
A maestro, Prof. S. C. Garg, Vice-Chancellor is the most prominent personality of the University. He completed his MSC (Physics) Ph.D. from the University of Delhi. In his long career span, he taught in Hindu College, Delhi for about 12 years from 1976-88 and then at IGNOU in Jan 1989 as Reader in Physics. He was conferred Professorship in 1993 and rose to the office of Pro-Vice-Chancellor, IGNOU in 2002. Between 1999 and 2002, he was appointed Director of the School of Sciences.
Prof Garg has been to several foreign universities to deliver lectures. He was a Distance Science Commonwealth Expert in the University of South Pacific and Director, Centre of Learning and Teaching, National University of Lesotho. He is a prolific researcher and writer, who authored more than 100 research papers in international and national journals, and co-authored about a dozen books in Physics, Distance Education, and Education. With his powerhouse of experience and knowledge, Prof. Garg also carries international experience in curriculum design and management of higher education.
An Array of Distinct Academic Programs of the Institute
UMU has established its presence as one of the prestigious centers of higher education. It is well equipped with the required laboratories, library, cafeteria, workshops, and IT infrastructure facilities. The Academic Programmes of the University are offered through the various Faculties of studies. It is now well placed to offer conventional programmes which are region-based and employment-oriented in areas like Nursing, Pharmacy, medical lab technologies, physiotherapy, agriculture, and engineering diplomas in diverse fields.
• FACULTY OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND COMMERCE – B.Com, BBA, MBA, Postgraduate Diploma in Supply Chain Management and Logistics, Ph.D. in Management, and Commerce.
• FACULTY OF COMPUTING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY- BCA, MCA, PG Diploma in IoT, Postgraduate Diploma in Data Science, PhD
• FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND APPLIED SCIENCES- Diploma in Computer Science, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Mining Engineering, BTech in Civil, Mining, Electrical Mechanical, and Computer Science
• FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES- D Pharm and B Pharm, Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Bachelors in Medical Lab Technology, and Diploma in MLT.
• FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE- BSc Agriculture
• FACULTY OF JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION – BJMC
• FACULTY OF LAW –LLB, BBA LLB, LLM and PhD
• FACULTY OF EDUCATION- PhD
• FACULTY OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES – BA ( Hons) English, PhD in English
• FACULTY OF VOCATIONAL STUDIES- Bachelors in Tourism and Hospitality Management
The university hosts annual events and extracurricular activities like Student fest, Debate competitions, Sports meet, Creative activities, and year-round important days. It has also taken special initiatives to promote entrepreneurship education including the offer of the undergraduate programme, setting up an incubation center, and a software development cell.
Moments of Triumphs
The University has been able to achieve an enviable track record of almost 100% placements in leading companies since the beginning till the pandemic period. Being a tech-savvy university, it believes in the power of technology-supported learning and implemented a Learning Management system customized from MOODLE 3.8 to its requirements. This has helped in sharing dynamic content in real-time, improved learner engagement, interactivity, and also learner assessment. For various aspects of excellence in its performance, UMU in the last few years of its existence has been honored with many awards and recognitions. Here are some of them from 2020:
• On 20th October 2020, the honorable Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof. S.C Garg was conferred the “Most Inspiring Vice-Chancellor Award” by Dynergic Business Solution for his illustrious work.
• “QS I.GAUGE E-LEAD” Certificate, UMU is the first university in Jharkhand to be certified for digital competence.
• “Best Innovative University-East”, Usha Martin University now wins the highly exalting award during the magnificent ‘ASSOCHAM National Education Awards 2020’, Jharkhand.
Also, some of the major recognitions and accreditations of the university are PCI, BCI, Jharkhand Govt., AIU, State Nursing Council, Jharkhand (applied for, the committee constituted).
Upgrading to keep up with the COVID-led Pandemic
The university constituted a Covid-19 task force with senior academics and administrators to oversee all Covid-19 related safety measures as well institutional preparedness to tackle related situations. UMU was among the first universities to initiate fully online teaching and assessment right from the last week of March 2021. When the campus became operational between successive lockdowns, it managed a roster to enable safety protocols as well the continuation of operations. All academics were enabled to work from home for their online classes. However, oversight was maintained by getting all sessions recorded and shared with senior management. Learners were also given access to recorded lectures so that those who did not have internet access were not deprived of learning.
Navigating the Next Destination
The University has been steadily gaining strength as an educational institution for all aspirants in eastern India. By providing an industry-relevant curriculum and excellent teaching-learning services, ably aided through education technology and ICT, UMU aims to create graduates equipped with 21st-century competencies and steeped in values of equity, quality ethics, and respect while serving the national and global society.
“We also aim to emerge as a center for academic and applied research in all fields of study that we offer and develop among our learners an entrepreneurial spirit so that a significant number of our alumni become job creators rather than seekers.”