PANDIT DEENDAYAL ENERGY UNIVERSITY
Formerly Known as Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU)
A Revolutionary Institute Building a Legacy in Holistic Education
With a changing world, the advancements in the Education field have been remarkable; it has not only rectified the traditional methods but also incorporated the digital processions with an open mindset. Today, Education stands its position in society by enabling young minds to pursue their dreams and become visionary leaders of tomorrow. The schools, colleges, universities, and institutes are now offering students a lasting educational experience worth every penny.
One such torchbearer in the educational arena, Pandit Deendayal Energy University (PDEU) established in 2007 through the act of Gujarat Legislative Assembly with the provision to have diversity and scholarship for building a prominent talent base in the energy sector. PDEU believes in transforming with evolving times, hence initially, it focused on the energy academic and research domain and gradually broadened its spectrum for trained human resources in the domains of Science, Technology, Management, and Humanities. Today, the university has marked its presence as a renowned institution with noteworthy national and international visibility.
The Leading Forces
An array of esteemed personalities from Industry, Government, and Academia bestow strategic leadership and are the Board of Governors at PDEU. Dr. Mukesh Ambani, the industry leader in the energy domain is the Founder Chairman of the University. Dr. R A Mashelkar is the Research Champion of the nation and was inducted into the board to inculcate the best research environment. Dr. Vikram Singh Mehta, Former Chairman of Shell India and current chairman of Brookings India being champion of internationalization is part of this board. In addition to that, Shri K V Kamath has been a pillar in building sustainable finance and Smt. Pallavi Shroff having legal knowledge is part of the board. In addition to this Secretary Higher and Technical Education and Energy Secretary are part of the governance.
Shri D. Rajagopalan, IAS (Retd.) is the Chairman of the Standing Committee. He was the former Chief Secretary of Govt. of Gujarat. He was the Vice-Chairman and Managing Director of Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation, Gandhinagar; as well as, of State Transport Corporation of Gujarat. During his tenure with the Central Government he has served in the office of Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) Commerce and Industry Ministry, Govt. of India.
A renowned Educationist, Scientist, and Administrator, Dr. S. Sundar Manoharan is the Director-General of PDEU. He has extensive experience of over three decades in teaching and research in the area of Material Science and Nanotechnology. He was deputed from IIT-Kanpur to be the Founder Director of UGC funded 100 Crore project to establish the National Center for Nano Science and Nanotechnology at the University of Mumbai premises. He served as a visiting professor in numerous internationally reputed institutions across the globe. In the recent past, he has held several administrative positions including being a member of the Project Advisory Committee at DST & DRDO Funding Agencies.
An Overview of PDEU’s Educational Amenities
PDEU provides its learners with a perfect blend of pristine environment and modern technology enabling a dynamic learning experience and turning students into potential professionals. The university has an excellent infrastructure with proper maintenance facilities offerings students an ideal platform for excelling their performance. Be it festivals, sports, or various programs/events, the students actively participate and win awards for the university.
PDEU’s Translational Research Centre (TREC), a 50-crore multi-story facility will be the hub for effective translation of research and innovative ideas into sustainable solutions in the areas of Energy, Health, Water, and Climate Change. TREC will facilitate multi-disciplinary interactions on all the nine verticals of Industry 4.0 namely Augmented and Virtual Reality, Additive Manufacturing, Artificial Intelligence, Industrial IoT, Big Data, Cyber-Physical Systems, Cyber Security, Data Science, and Nanotechnology.
With these core strengths as below, the four-year stay of the student at the university becomes eventful with each time-stretch as a new benchmark of excelling.
Unique Infrastructural Setup: Having a focus on ‘knowledge-based economy’ and realizing the power of ‘interdisciplinary research’, the overall University’s physical infrastructure is designed in such a manner that excludes the conventional concept of ‘department’ and there are only four big clusters like (i) School of Technology (SoT) (ii) School of Liberal Studies (SLS) (iii) School of Petroleum Technology (SPT) (iv) School of Petroleum Management (SPM). This amalgamating planning accelerates the interaction of students and faculties of different branches which is the first step towards an interdisciplinary problem-solving approach.
Interdisciplinary Focus: Financial support is extended to B.Tech and M.Tech students for their research work and preference is given to an interdisciplinary team thereby strengthening the interdisciplinary flavor.
Growth Friendly Administration: PDEU’s growth-friendly, easy approachability, and flexible procedures make facilities assessed by all which thereby gives creativity a strong platform to flourish. Moreover to strengthen the administration and smoothen its functioning, the policy of ‘rotation of powers’ is followed and normally the tenure of the various heads or in-charges of the department/sections/portfolio are restricted to 2-3 years allowing new ideas from all directions.
The university has created some sector relevant engineering laboratories which are well equipped to facilitate the pedagogic and research process.
Office of Student Activities, Involvement, and Leadership (OSAIL): It is a dedicated center to offer students opportunities in their areas of interest thereby developing leadership qualities. The activities at the OSAIL are majorly driven by Student Clubs, Student Chapters of Professional Societies. Realizing the societal need, the University encourages NSS and NCC activities with the noble initiative of ‘nation-building’.
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP): It provides support for the free and responsible conduct of investigative, scholarly, and creative activities at the university. The office programs offer support from the initial stages of proposal development to grants management, publication, and the transfer of technology.
Women’s Cell: The University aims to provide safe working and learning campus life for staff and students free from gender discrimination and sexual harassment. It further cultivates the atmosphere where men and women work together towards the growth and prosperity of the institution in a secured academic environment.
The Wall of Achievements
PDEU has achieved many milestones under its name with its principled work ethical approach and commitment towards educational enforcement.
● NAAC ‘A’ Grade Accredited with CGPA 3.39/4.0 in 2016.
● PDEU is the only private University in Gujarat to get the graded autonomy status by University Grants Commission (UGC) in 2018.
● 4 Star Rating by Gujarat State Institutional Rating Framework (GSIRF)
● University is recognized by the Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO)
● MEMBER OF INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION (IIE)
● School of Technology, Pandit Deendayal Energy University has been recognized as a Scheduled-I Auditor by Gujarat Pollution Control Board.
● MEMBER OF ASSOCIATION OF INDIAN UNIVERSITIES
● B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering Program is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), New Delhi up to 30th June 2022.
● PDEU has been approved by the Government of India, Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue (Central Board of Direct Taxes) on 24th April 2015 as a Scientific Research Institution for claiming exemption under section 35(1) (ii) of Income Tax Act on the donations/ grants received for scientific research activities done by its faculty members and students.
● The PDEU SPE Student Chapter stands as the only SPE student chapter in India to have bagged four consecutive Gold Standard Awards from SPE International four times in a row.
Keeping the Lamp Ignited
Education is an insightful journey in every individual’s life with time; this process has undergone many significant modifications. At PDEU, understanding the need of the hour special emphasis is given to developing the ‘observational power’ and ‘sharpening the problem-solving approach’ as this creates a foundation for achieving excellence. Hence, under the Academic Policy Initiatives a set of initiatives are undertaken like:
● Summer Internships in a village for almost 4-5 weeks are conducted to closely observe the functioning of the rural people and document the ‘good practices’ and ‘shortcomings’.
● Policy guideline of having 10% of the total lectures of any course to be taken up by the industry professionals for understanding the problems of the industry/society and work on the upliftment of respected community issues.
● Academic initiatives for including business perspectives in the B.Tech and M.Tech research projects, which offer students a higher level of commitment in the work and pave way for entrepreneurship. Moreover, students are encouraged to align their term papers/project work with the national and/or state-specific problems enabling them to become ‘problem solvers’ and ‘employment generators’ which is the need of the hour. Visiting the industries along with short-term and long-term industrial training gives them a new dimension towards the application of technology and problem solving which is accompanied by active and continued partnership with Energy and Infrastructure Sector companies, National and International Universities, Consultants, and Vendors.
A Sneak Peek into Annual Events and Extra-curricular Activities
The campus is buzzing with more than 40 student clubs based on personal preferences; students take an active role in the club functioning as a Core Executive Member and also participate in the activities organized by other clubs. There are 3 major festivals: Flare, Tesseract, and Petro Cup which are organized annually where students from different colleges across the country participate.
FLARE involves Music, Dance, Art, Theatre, Literature, Culinary, Gaming, Fashion, and much more. The events are spread across 3 days, where students from all over the country showcase their talent and it ends with a Pro night where PDEU invites various celebrities.
TESSERACT is the Annual Science and Technical Fest of the University, which talks about the quest for knowledge. Tesseract the word describes the four-dimensional analogy of a cube and links the depth and complexities of science with an elementary cube. It goes hand in hand with the aim and vision of the university, to make science simple.
Key Highlights of the Tesseract 2019:
● Automobile exhibition by International Automobile Centre of Excellence
● Indian Drone Racing League
● National Level Cubing Competition – Tesseract 2019
● Gravity Well Demonstration by Brahmand Club
● Alexa Workshop by Coding Club
PETROCUP: An Annual Inter-College Sports Festival to showcase sportsmanship, intensity, and competition of the game with the mantra “LEARN, PLAY AND WIN”. PetroCup has expanded its impact and the growing popularity has given talents a platform to excel their sports-play potential. With cricket dignitaries of the Indian National Cricket Team like Parthiv Patel, this sports fest is an enthralling experience.
The Steps towards Success
Initiatives towards Securing Energy for All: PDEU has undertaken extensive research in the area of new energy sources. The Centre of Excellence in Geothermal Energy (CEGE) at PDEU has conducted comprehensive exploration surveys for geothermal prospects identification in several parts of Gujarat and has drilled two shallow wells in Dholera. It has established the first of its kind project on direct applications for heating and cooling in Dholera and has demonstrated societal benefits such as honey-processing and Balneology using geothermal water. The Centre for Biofuel & Bio-Energy Studies (CBBS) has developed expertise in designing energy-efficient biodiesel processes and innovative designs.
PDEU has a Solar Research Development Centre (SRDC) and a 1 MW Solar power plant integrated into the grid, along with a 1.5MW Rooftop facility. The University, in partnership with Maruti Suzuki and the Government of Gujarat, has created the International Automobile Center of Excellence (iACE), which has a widespread infrastructure for teaching Automotive Manufacturing and Automotive Electronics worth Rs. 100 Crore.
Disruptive I 4.0 Technologies: The University has received over Rs. 200 crore funding in R&D and Centre of Excellence's Projects and currently 60 government and private sponsored ongoing projects. The University stands out with the exceptional Centers of Excellence including Siemens Automotive Centre of Excellence, Centre for Biofuel and Bioenergy Studies, Solar Research and Development Centre, Centre of Excellence in Geothermal Energy, Drilling, Cementing and Stimulation Centre, and Maruti Suzuki International Automobile Centre of Excellence.
Innovation & Incubation Centre: Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) has recognized PDEU- Innovation & Incubation Centre in Top 25 Universities on indicators related to “Innovation & Entrepreneurship amongst students & faculties.” It is also recognized as the "Incubation Centre of the Year with Prominent IP Culture" by Intellectual Property Protection Organization (IPPO) at IP Fest for three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 & 2019. It is approved as "Technology Business Incubator" by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. IIC PDEU has filed more than 86 IPRs, 100+ startups have incubated and generated more than 950 employments. The presence of a vibrant Incubation and Innovation Centre increases the confidence of the students’ manifolds as this gets strong support to commercialize their ideas and/or research outputs.
Global Collaborations: PDEU has tied up with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA – Abdul Latif Jamil World Education Lab (MIT J-WEL) in the Higher Education segment. As part of this initiative, eighteen faculty received training from MIT. It has collaborated with the Go Minnesota Program, USA, and the credit exchange program with Oklahoma University, where students study for a semester and earn credits. It has established Chair Professor in partnership with Hazira LNG Private Limited and Suzlon to further the cause of Academic and Research Excellence at the University.
The University has been a frontrunner in the Government of India 'Study in India' Program for International Admissions. During the last year, 162 students from 29 countries enrolled for regular programs of PDEU. The University also received more than 100 students under Study in India short term program. The various National and International Joint exchange programs like the International Exposure Program (IEP) are held each year. This program is designed to give students exposure in the academic, technical, and cultural forefront with the intent to create and promote a collaborative platform at some of the finest universities in the world.
Societal Impact: PDEU in response to the United Nations Call for Sustainable Development Goals for Clean Water, and Sanitation is working on designing, developing, and demonstrating high-recovery, low-cost water treatment systems for saline groundwater and wastewater with the support from European Union under Horizon 2020.
As a responsibility towards local society, PDEU has adopted nearby villages. Awareness of various prevailing social issues has been conducted periodically by our students and has addressed the schools' infrastructural and academic needs. In this pandemic, PDEU has emerged with seven patents in providing engineering solutions to combat COVID-19.
The Notable Alumni
With a journey of 13 years, PDEU has carved a niche for itself in the public and private sectors with industry driven students. Till now 7000+ students have passed out. It has a well-established Alumni network across the University to encourage the Alumni to take an active and abiding interest in the work and progress of the Institute to contribute towards enhancement of the social utility of their Alma Mater. They are now settled across the globe and building the Brand PDEU. They are at the middle level and top-level management at various organizations ranging from PSUs to MNCs. Many have their startups and support others for employment. Disha Shah – Sr. Consultant to GRID – Oil & Gas, PWC, Rajneesh Modi – Consultant – Energy & Resources, Accenture Management Consulting, Saurabh Dubey – Advisory Services, Energy Vertical, Protiviti Consulting, United Arab Emirates, Prasoon Pankaj – Income Tax Inspector, Nilesh Balani – Asst. Executive Engineer, ONGC Mumbai to name a few. Many have joined international Universities for higher studies also.
Paving the Road Ahead
The Institution is currently planning and proposing to bring structural changes apart from the academic programs to make this institution an Institute of Eminence (IoE) in learning. It aims to be a pioneer in the next five years. It is focused on developing an intentional, aligned, and integrated culture that radiates the beliefs, values, and life skills for the youth to be successful. Transformational Education works because it harnesses an organization's systems, staff, environment, and curriculum to provide an enriched and effective milieu for educating the aspiring youth. PDEU’s curriculum and skill-based training are designed to adapt to this digital age empowering the students with experiential learning.
Some key pointers for mapping the next benchmarks are:
● Skill Training And Skill-based Courses: In the coming times, Skill Development will have certification courses and programs respectively. For industry demanding skill opportunities, certification programs in modern analytical methods, production, and manufacturing skills will be initiated through apprenticeship programs. PDEU further encourages technology business commercialization programs for the skill trained learners to plunge into the entrepreneurship world.
● Swayam Courses: The institute is already a distinguished platform for initiating courses offered by Swayam/MOOC and Coursera platform. It motivates more students to join such resourceful platforms in the upcoming years.
● International Semester Abroad/ Exchange Program: The Office of the International Relations (OIR) will strive to establish a steady flow of outbound and inbound students to engage in exchange programs to expand their learning and provide a global perspective in the accredited courses.
● Accreditation and Ranking: Having launched all major initiatives for renewing the teaching-learning process and teaching-learning resources, PDEU looks forward to empowering itself with all honors to become a leading institute in the national and international formats. As a first initiative, it has already established itself in the NIRF ranking. It envisions being on par with MHRD funded technical institutes nationally and globally among the Top 500 Universities. PDEU’s quest is to push towards this milestone by engaging in NBA, GSIRF ranking, and Accreditation Process.